Coriolis. I love this sock. Or the idea of this sock anyway. Which is what kept me knitting when I knew I should stop -- a few inches ago. It fits, but the spiraling band really is a bit too tight because it doesn't have nearly the stretchiness of the rest of the sock. So I'm dreaming about finding a stitch pattern that stretches better vertically than stockinette does -- perhaps lace?. Or maybe I just need to do more increases when going up the leg... think I need to do some swatching.
So, whilst I ponder the to frog, or not to frog question, I figured that casting on another pair would be a good idea. After all, doesn't everyone need at least a dozen projects OTN? I've been itching to play with these ever since I saw them. I'd already started a pair several months ago with Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock but wasn't thrilled with that yarn for this project. The Pace sock yarn, picked up a couple of weeks ago, with its heathered, earthy character seems much more appropriate to the Celtic design somehow.
I'm making a few modifications along the way. The cuff starts and ends with a braided 2-color band with corregated ribbing inbetween.
The knot pattern is mirrored and the heel flap is done in stipes to match the ribbing.
And I'm planning on trying out the form-fitted arch design from Meg Swansen's Knitting: 30 Designs for Hand Knitting.
Now that the heel's been turned and I've tried the sock on the flap seems a bit too long -- even though it's a few rows shorter than my standard. Hmmm. I wonder if that's because my heel flaps usually are done in a slip stitch pattern and this one isn't. With the gusset stitches picked up I've realized that the slip stitch pattern also makes the ratio of 1 gusset stitch for each two heel flap rows work well. In plain stockinette it looks like more gusset stitches should be picked up. Maybe something like 2 stitches for every 3 rows? So here I am again, really, really, really not wanting to rip it out and do it again, but... (on the positive side, I'm finally getting better at 2-handed 2-color purling, and frogging would give me even more practice)
Still have to frog these too. Gift for a friend -- and they're too tight. Rather than going up a needle size I think I'll try to rechart the pattern, making each scale 7 ribs wide instead of 6.
But I didn't want to frog yesterday. So I cast on the Rockin' Sock club's August edition. No ripping in sight. Yet.
3 comments:
The emsket socks look incredible! Wow. The color combo you use now works very well with the pattern as well, I just... wow. :)
Those emsket socks are amazing. Did you design the chart for the colorwork yourself? It's soooooo impressive and envy-inducing. :P
I can't claim the credit for the emsket's colorwork chart. Go check out the Socks and small knits section of the "So much fiber, so little time" blog.
Post a Comment