For more than a year I've been obsessively trying to locate a copy of Mirdza Slava's “Latviešu rakstainie cimdi.” Published in Latvia and out of print, it's been quite the challenge. Last week I was astonished when a used copy appeared on Amazon—unfortunately with a fairly significant price tag. But I bit the bullet, added it to my shopping cart, and checked out as quickly as my trembling fingers would allow. Bitter disappointment followed the next day when I received an email announcing that my order had been canceled. I went to Amazon again only to find the book was gone. Not expecting anything to come of it, I googled Mirdza Slava again and was astonished when I found that the book was available from Abe Books. Not only that, but it was only a third the price that had been listed on Amazon.
Yesterday it arrived. To say I'm wildly excited would have to be the understatement of the year. I'd expected the book to be wonderful. I was already well aware of some of the book's contents because
photos from it are available on the web. I'd wondered if those photos showed the entire book. They don't. What an absolute feast of colorwork patterns! Don't be surprised if you see some Latvian Mitten inspired sock patterns in the near future.
1 comment:
are you going to blog about your socks?
:)
Post a Comment